Eastern Angles Theatre Company combines heritage with theatre to make regional stories and hidden histories come to life on stage.
We provide professional rural touring and site-specific theatre with a focus on new writing, new audiences and the development of new talent. Our stories and themes are derived from our sense of place, specifically East Anglia and the East of England. Since forming in 1982, Eastern Angles have blazed a trail across East Anglia for nearly 40 years and expanded to national tours and Edinburgh Festival residencies.
Based in Ipswich at the The Eastern Angles Centre, the company has a second base in Peterborough at Chauffeur’s Cottage.
Eastern Angles has performed across Peterborough including outside the city’s Cathedral, the Key Theatre and Nene Park. In October 2016, we opened a new theatre space: The Undercroft at Serpentine Green Shopping Centre.
Our mission is to...
- provide high quality theatre
- maintain and promote a regional identity
- tour to theatre, non-theatre and community venues
- develop and produce new and original work
- explore our heritage to support an understanding of the past, present and future
Eastern Angles current annual programme includes:
- Spring Tour - a community tour to village halls and small scale venues in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk throughout March to June
- Engine Room – a Peterborough festival focused on new writing and developing local talent during the Autumn based at The Undercroft
- The alternative to the Christmas panto – Eastern Angles unique Christmas comedy touring to Ipswich, Woodbridge and Peterborough over December and January
Eastern Angles also commission new plays, provide workshops for schools with professional actors and directors and create community performances.
Our Ipswich home and central office is at The Eastern Angles Centre on Gatacre Road. The building was originally a Victorian primary school but has since been converted into an arts and heritage hub which includes the Sir John Mills Theatre space.
If you ever need to collect or book tickets in person, this is where our Box Office is located. We have a free car park behind the building.
As well as professional performances, music and comedy nights, the Sir John Mill's Theatre space often hosts local amateur societies. If you're interested in hiring the theatre, click here to find out more.
Our pop-up theatre in Peterborough is The Undercroft. The venue is located at Serpentine Green Shopping Centre. The Undercroft is a vibrant space for community groups, drama workshops, theatrical shows, live podcasts and cabaret nights. The venue has a studio space for performances, a large Front of House area, which can also be used for exhibits, and a rehearsal space for workshops. Since 2018, Korp has become the resident artist at The Undercroft, with his Studio 4, hosting paint jams and workshops. If you're interested in hiring the space, call us on 01473 218202 or email the team. Follow the venue on Twitter & Facebook.