Eastern Angles presents and tours regional stories from the East of England.
“The touring company for the East of England, blazing a trail across East Anglia for over 40 years!"
We are Radically Hospitable, Responsive, Regionally Focussed with a Broad World View in our approach to creating work with community groups and artists in East Anglia.
Through the practice of Radical Hospitality and putting extraordinary effort and emphasis on making people feel welcome, we aim to remove barriers that prevent people from participating in the shared experience of arts, heritage and culture.
We exist to create, engage and inspire our communities by bringing together exciting artists who share our vision for live performance and cultural exchange as an essential tool in an inclusive society.
We create ambitious, innovative quality theatre, activities and community events informed by the place, people and heritage of East Anglia. Inspired by place, we celebrate rural and urban community settings and stories. Forged from a shared sense of past we make work created and informed by the present, which tours to a variety of communities, proposing a future in a broadening world.
We are proud and committed to community touring and to enhance the engagement and infrastructure of culture in East Anglia.
Our dynamic organisation when not on the road is based in Ipswich at our Community Hub the Eastern Angles Centre and at Chauffer’s Cottage in Peterborough providing resources to equipping and engaging artists, communities and venues.
- Theatre making is a powerful form of community building and representation
- Everyone is an artist and has the right to artistic expression
- We work better when we learn from one another, as people and as an organisation
- Our core values are founded in a commitment to being open, generous and brave
- To give people the space and time to come together and see themselves and our world in new ways
- To connect people, ideas and places together
- To create space to experience discovery, difference and joy
- To build community, conversation, wellbeing and inclusion
- To make great theatre
Eastern Angles current annual programme includes:
- Spring Tour a community tour to village halls and small to mid-scale venues in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk and beyond throughout March to June
- Summer a biennial site-specific or community play production
- Autumn Tour a small-scale tour to care homes, schools and/or community centres both urban and rural
- Christmas Family Show touring to Ipswich, Woodbridge and Peterborough during December and January
In between we offer R&D opportunities, work with schools, readings of new plays, and new community activities in Ipswich, Peterborough, market towns and villages where partnerships with local resources make it possible.